Project management is not easy. A handfull of practical hints from ~20 years of experience:
- Dont ask for more ressources. Ask for the ressources you were promised, but never got.
- Dont ask for an extension on deadlines. Ask that the ones you got in the first place are not changed.
- Never expect anyone to have heard of the iron triangle of project management.
Even if they actually have heard of it before.
- Never expect anyone to have any understanding of what the project is about.
Even if they are in charge of managing it.
- When, at the beginning of a project, estimations of the necessary ressources are deemed irrelevant by the steering commitee, buy antacids. You will get an ulcer.
- When someone is given a budget – never expect them to stay within it.